20-21 CR3031: Interpersonal Violence and Harm

Course convenor: Dr. Jenny Korkodeilou
Arts Building, 1st Floor, Room 24

Profile: I am an academic/criminologist/social scientist. I've taught, supervised and convened undergraduate and postgraduate modules in criminology in a number of universities in England and Wales since 2009. I enjoy teaching and learning from students and sharing with them all 'Eureka' moments! I've single-authored and published for criminology journals and recently published my book in 'Victims of Stalking' (Palgrave Macmillan). My research expertise and interests focus on stalking/harassment, interpersonal and gender-based violence, harms, responses, victimology, interface between psychology and criminology. Key motto is: Be curious and inquisitive. Keep on asking, thinking and trying.

Aim(s) of this course: The key aim of this third year optional 15-credit criminology course is to help you identify and gain a critical awareness and understanding of different forms of interpersonal violence and related harms.

By the end of this course you should be able to (learning outcomes):
1) Identify multiple forms of interpersonal violence and harm.
2) Explain the nature and dynamics of multiple forms of violence and harm. 3) Identify and analyse the role of risk factors in the assessment and management of violence and harm. 4) Compare and provide some critical evaluation of methods of risk assessment, management and communication.
5) Summarize and explain the contributions that psychology and criminology have made to the analysis of violent and harmful behaviour, 6) Summarize and critically evaluate current scholarship on interpersonal violence and harm.

The way I teach: I will ask and encourage you to think critically about interpersonal violence and harms. I aim to help you challenge preconceptions and contribute to discussions.